Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How to make a hedgehog!

I stated before I would post the directions to make a hedgehog; so, here it is.

However, this hedgehog is one that you sew; so, if you do not know how to sew or do not like this is not for you.  I like using bead to attach the “feathers” together; but you do not have to do so.  The original directions I saw did not use them; but I like the added touch.  Unfortunately, for child under 3 it is not advisable to get them this item.





Materials: two different fabric colors, sewing machine, pins, sewing needle, matching thread, options seed beads (I used Glass Beads Perles de Verre from Wal-Mart), beading needle, scissors, pattern, and stuffing 



Directions:
Place the pattern on the fabric you want to use as the body.  Cut out the pattern. Then cut the dart areas.
Pin the darts together by lining up the point of the triangle and pinching them together.  Sew down that line.  Clip your curves. 



Turn hedgehog right side out; sew eyes on each side and mouth.  (I did mouth my sewing machine before I sewed the pattern together and did a French knot for each eye.) Stuff to you likeness,

I hand sewed my hedgehog’s stomach with matching thread.  See below.



Cut out leaf shapes to make the feathers of the hedgehog.  It depends how many on how close you want the feathers to be.


I first pin a row of feather with some straight pins and then sewed as seen below.
As stated below I added beads at the top of each leaf to be more decorative.


 
Add each row as desired.  This pends on your liking.
The first group I made had a lot more feathers then the second; however, they are equally cute!

I really enjoyed making these hedgehogs and have given them to a friend/teacher who has a hedgehog at home and bring him to the classroom for the special education student to learn how to care for animals.  I learned about them doing some instructional learning in special education class who had one.  They are great pets.

Since, I had fun making them and saw a turtle one to make I really want to make some.  However until my sewing machine stops sewing backward and I have time to look at it and maybe get Karl to look at it this is going to have to wait. At this point I do not know what I can do; I ran out of yarn and my sewing machine is broken.

Share your ideas on this or anything here on the blog either here or e-mail me at stipple@verizon.net  I look forward to hearing from you!



No comments:

Post a Comment